Sunday, January 13, 2008

Seven things I didn't know last Sunday


City Dogs



Country dogs

San Francisco has ships buried near the current shoreline.

Meanwhile, many of the new arrivals in the port of San Francisco headed directly to the hills to search for gold. In fact, more than 200 ships were completely abandoned and left to rot in the Bay as their crews and passengers went off to seek their fortunes. This both caused and solved a problem. The empty ships were clogging up the harbor, while the rapidly growing downtown business area needed room to expand. So the townsfolk took matters into their own hands and decided to put the ships to good use. Some of the ships were salvaged for their wood, which came in handy as the city had to rebuild itself from no fewer than six major fires that nearly wiped it out between 1849 and 1851. Other ships were towed onto the beach and turned into buildings—a hotel, a jail, a store, or a warehouse. But quite a few of them were sunk intentionally in order to fill in the cove. In the late 1860s, what remained of the cove was enclosed by a seawall, running roughly along the path of what is now known as the Embarcadero.


Asian imports of shrimp have forced shrimp fishermen to harvest jellyfish instead. They sell them to Asia.

You can get really out of shape in 99 days.

Miami has a archaeological dig site that dates back 10,000 years. Its called the Miami Circle site and it was buried under an apartment building since the 50's
The earliest sites found in Miami-Dade County suggest that people lived in the area during the Late PaleoIndian and Early Archaic periods, at least by nine or ten thousand years ago. At a cave-like sinkhole called the Cutler Fossil site excavators found bones of animals from the late Pleistocene, possibly a dire wolf den, as well as stone artifacts representative of this early horizon. Scientists think the area around the Cutler Fossil site was a forested and surrounded by open, savannah-like grasslands and open marshes and wetlands. This suggests that water sources were available at this time in southeastern Florida and that other early sites might be associated with similar sinkhole features that predate the development of the Everglades.

visit here

Deanna (the lead OD tech) wants everyone to wear a product red shirt and jeans on Saturdays. I didn't want to shop but was told I wasn't being a team player so I went online and ordered two product red shirts then I had to have a pair of jeans and shoes so I bought a new pair of chucks. What if they won't let me wear chucks..well, platform sandals are just the ticket. Now my down payment is 200.00 less saved...thats why I didn't want to shop.

I have to unpack my beads. Ginny wants a bracelet for her birthday at the end of the month. Where is my loom?

Mom and I pretend we are sisters but I always slip up and call her Mom..so I'm going to call her momma..and I'll call Rachel Momma and every female Momma..then they won't think twice since every Latino around here does that.

They found dinosaur tracks in Prince Georges County in Maryland..in a stream behind a strip mall.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Think taxes!

Rumour is you can take off clothing for work on your taxes.

LOL Mind you, I've never done it.

Anonymous said...

I had two of the "city dogs." Very regal, but so sweet and gentle.
I've also had "country dogs," very stupid and playful.

Mimi Lenox said...

Welcome To The Band